MAS6024 Statistical Data Science in R
|Semester 1, 2019/20||15 Credits|
|Lecturer:||Dr Kevin Walters||uses MOLE||Timetable||Reading List|
|Aims||Outcomes||Teaching Methods||Assessment||Full Syllabus|
This module starts in Intro Week with some basic R. The module then introduces further aspects of the R language, demonstrates how to use and write functions in R, introduces some programming tools and shows how R can be used for Monte Carlo techniques.
There are no prerequisites for this module.
No other modules have this module as a prerequisite.
- Introduction to the R language.
- Writing R functions.
- Programming in R.
- Monte Carlo Simulation in R.
- To enable students to write basic R code.
- To give practice in writing functions in R.
- To help students to write longer programs.
- To illustrate how R can be used to implement a range of Monte Carlo techniques
- To give practice in applying Monte Carlo methods and interpreting results from them.
- To give practice in creating reproducible work using R Markdown.
- write simple functions and programs in R;
- develop skills in writing longer, more complex R programs;
- understand how Monte Carlo simulations can be implemented in R
- prepare technical documents with R Markdown.
Examples classes and computer practice in the PC Laboratories; on-line discussion. Feedback on assignments.
No lectures, no tutorials, 16 practicals
Two pieces of course work
N.B `Computer labs' are 1.5 or 2hrs.
- Introduction to the R language(9 hours).
- Writing R functions (5 hours).
- Monte Carlo Simulation in R (5 hours).
- Programming in R (5 hours).
|B||Grolemund, G.||Hands-on Programming with R||Blackwells||Amazon|
|B||Grolemund, G. and Wickham, H.||R for Data Science||Blackwells||Amazon|
|B||Xie, Y., Allaire, J.J. and Grolemund G.||R Markdown: The definiitive Guide||Blackwells||Amazon|
(A = essential, B = recommended, C = background.)
Most books on reading lists should also be available from the Blackwells shop at Jessop West.
|Mon||10:00 - 10:50||lecture||Diamond Computer Room 1 / Room 201|