MAS248 Mathematics III (Chemical)
|Semester 1, 2021/22||10 Credits|
|Lecturer:||Dr Julia Rees||Timetable||Reading List|
|Aims||Outcomes||Teaching Methods||Assessment||Full Syllabus|
A Level 2 mathematics module for engineering students.
Prerequisites: MAS157 (Mathematics for Chemists)
No other modules have this module as a prerequisite.
- To consolidate previous mathematical knowledge;
- To develop new mathematical skills needed for Chemical Engineering.
- Find stationary points of functions f(x) or f(x,y), and use numerical algorithms for finding roots of f(x), i.e. solutions of f(x)=0;
- Recognise periodic, even and odd functions, and have a working knowledge of Fourier series;
- Understand the difference between scalar and vector fields;
- Differentiate and integrate these fields in space and/or time in simple cases;
- Understand the physical significance of these processes;
Lectures, tutorials, independent study
18 lectures, 9 tutorials
Provisional: 2 hour written exam, answer all 4 questions (which may contain sub-parts). (This may be subject to change due to Covid disruption.)
- Revision of partial differentiation and chain rule.
- Finding maxima, mimina and roots of functions: stationary points; maxima, minima and saddle points; finding the roots of a function of one variable using bisection and Newton-Raphson methods.
- Fourier series: periodic functions; Fourier series; even and odd functions.
- Vector analysis: scalar and vector fields; grad, div and curl; vector identities; directional derivative; Laplacian; scalar and vector potentials.
- Partial differential equations: Laplace’s equation; diffusion equation; wave equation; d’Alembert’s solution; normal modes.
- Introduction to probability distributions.
|B||E. Kreyszig||Advanced Engineering Mathematics||Blackwells||Amazon|
|B||K.A. Stroud||Further Engineeering Mathematics: Programmes and Problems||Blackwells||Amazon|
(A = essential, B = recommended, C = background.)
Most books on reading lists should also be available from the Blackwells shop at Jessop West.